Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Trichotillomania


"Trichotillomania," also called hair-pulling disorder, is a mental disorder that involves recurrent, irresistible urges to pull out hair from your scalp, eyebrows or other areas of your body, despite trying to stop.

When I was much, much younger I used to suffer terribly from this disorder. I used to pull my eyelashes, my eyebrows, and hair from the direct top of my head. I had a bald spot at the crest of my head and today there are gaps in my eyelashes. It was one of the earliest signs of my mental disorder. 

I've mostly recovered from this, usually managing to just pull on my hair rather than pulling it out, but of course if you pull enough it's just going to come out anyway. I'm grateful I don't do it as much as I used to anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment